Friday 19 March 2021

Lines in literature that are powerful and moving

If you love the classics, then you will love this list of powerful closing lines from some of the greatest literary pieces, curated by the Zonegem review team.

"I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wide as the valley of Panjsher on my lips. I ran."

The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini

"For all to be accomplished, for me to feel less lonely, all that remained to hope was that on the day of my execution there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should greet me with howls of execration."

The Stranger, Albert Camus

"She opened the door wide and let him into her life again."

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, Stieg Larsson

"Curley and Carlson looked after them. And Carlson said, 'Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them two guys?'"

Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck

"I just waited a bit, then turned back to the car, to drive off to wherever it was I was supposed to be."

Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro

"My husband remained there some time after me to settle our affairs, and at first I had intended to go back to him, but at his desire I altered that resolution, and he is come over to England also, where we resolve to spend the remainder of our years in sincere penitence for the wicked lives we have lived."

Moll Flanders, Daniel Defoe

"And then, while the pretty brunette girl finished singing her verse, he buzzed me through like I was someone who mattered."

The Devil Wears Prada, Lauren Weisberger

"We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, I know that, but sometimes, oh God, the Green Mile is so long."

The Green Mile, Stephen King

"At that, as if it had been the signal he waited for, Newland Archer got up slowly and walked back alone to his hotel."

The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton

"Her lips move and a moment before the door splinters off its hinges she says, her voice strong and quiet, 'My name is Alisa.'"

The Cellist of Sarajevo, Steven Galloway

"I lost track after a while, happy to be home, weeping for my father, and thinking about what was next."

Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides

"The men began singing, a grave, slow song that drifted away into the night. Soon the road was empty. All that remained of the German regiment was a little cloud of dust."

Suite Francaise, Irene Nemirovsky

For more great classic reads, check out Zonegem.

No comments:

Post a Comment